To better support researchers through the COVID-19 crisis we are increasing the number of articles you can read online for free from 6 to 100.
What's in this article:
- What is a registered individual account?
- Who uses an individual account?
- How do I register for an individual account?
- What can I do with an individual account?
What is a registered individual account?
A registered individual account enables researchers to access and read participating publisher articles online for free. This account also may be used to grant additional permissions as an Admin for subscribing institutions.
Who uses an individual registered account?
Anyone with an e-mail address may register for an individual account.
These accounts are especially useful to individuals who are unaffiliated with a school or library and they also provide citation management and research tools for all kinds of researchers. Students, scholars, and independent historians may use an individual registered account to conveniently save, manage, and organize citations for projects, articles, and papers directly on the JSTOR site.
If you are a librarian or administrative member of your institution, you must first have a registered individual account before you can be granted Admin permissions for the institutional account.
Admin permissions enable you to review and manage:
- Usage statistics
- Account information
How do I register for an individual account?
To register for a new free account visit the JSTOR registration page.
You may use any e-mail address to register. The e-mail you choose to register your account will be your default username.
Items marked with "*" are required to register
- Provide an email address*
- Confirm your email address*
- Select a strong password (includes at least one upper or lowercase character, one number or special character, 6 characters minimum, and no whitespace)*
- Confirm your password*
- Any additional information you would like to share (role, area of study, etc.) is optional
- After reviewing the Terms and Conditions of use, select the checkbox before submitting the form*
To stay logged in select the checkbox "Keep me Logged In"
To opt-into updates from JSTOR and/or JSTOR-participating publishers, select the checkbox "JSTOR Updates"
Play this short video to learn more about how to register for an individual account:
What can I do with an Individual account?
Individual accounts can help with your research, whether you are a student with access to an institutional subscription or an independent researcher:
- Read up to six articles every 30 days online for free. (Note that we have temporarily increased the number of articles you can read online for free from 6 to 100.)
- Save your citations to your personal Workspace.
- Students who have access to JSTOR through their school can use an individual account to save their work.
- If you're a librarian, an individual account is required in order to manage your usage statistics, holdings, and account information.
- If you ever decide you want to buy a JPASS or an individual article, you can use the same individual account.
Already registered? Learn more about How to Use Your Free Reads with an Individual Account