What's in this article:
- Basic Image Search
- Advanced Image Search
- Saving images to your Workspace
- Image citation and export options
- Download Images
Basic Image Search
Keywords or phrases that contain relevant text will return image results either as contained within the total results or may be filtered to include only image-specific results.
Once you have a keyword or phrase you are interested in researching using the general search, your result count will include both the total number of search results (of text and images) and the image-only results count.
Continue to limit your image search results by either checking the "Images" checkbox (found under Primary Source Content) or select "View all images" to explore images related to your search terms.
When refining a general (text and image) search to image-only search results, relevant images will be presented in a grid layout that makes it possible to scan across a selection related to your search.
To view the full image detail page, select a specific image.
The full image detail page contains your selected image in an embedded image viewer in addition to a variety of information about the image including the source, date, medium, and copyright information related to the image.
From the image detail page, you may also export and adjust image citations, share the image, or save it to your Workspace.
Advanced Image Search
For more specific image searching, Advanced Image Search is available to help narrow your results through more detailed fielded search, boolean, and filtering options.
Drop-down Field menus are available from the advanced image search page. Use one or more of these to select from the following specific fielded metadata options:
- work type
- style or period
Boolean search drop-down menus are also available to refine your query. Select from the following operators: AND, OR, and NOT
In the Narrow Results section of the advanced search page, additionally enter formatted date ranges (either in CE- Current or Common Era or BCE, Before Common Era)
Classification filters are also available for select images from curated groups such as Paintings, Humanities and Social Sciences, Maps, Charts, and Graphs and more.
Saving images to your Workspace
Save images to your Workspace from individual item pages or from search results to organize, share, and revisit later. You have the options to:
- Choose the "Save" option from available on each individual image and text page OR
- Choose to Save directly from search results by
To save images to your Workspace, you must first have a registered JSTOR account and be logged into your account. If you are NOT logged in, you will be redirected to the registration page.
Saving images from item pages
- Once you have found a specific image that you would like to save, select "Save."
- A Workspace scrollable "Save to..." menu will open where you can select the folder where you would like the item saved.
- Once you have selected the destination folder, you will get a confirmation pop-up message that verifies where image has been saved and the previously labeled "Save" button will instead read "Saved" with a checkbox next to it.
Saving images from Search Result pages
1. Once you have found a specific image that you would like to save, select the bookmark icon, which also functions as a "Save" button.
2. A Workspace scrollable "Save to..." menu will open where you can select the folder where you would like the item saved.
3. Once you have selected the destination folder, you will get a confirmation pop-up message that verifies where image has been saved and the previously labeled "Save" button will instead read "Saved" with a checkbox next to it.
Image citation and export options
Image citation and various export options are available on the full image detail page in the upper-right hand corner of the page.
Style options to cite an image include:
Download and Cite options are conveniently available for images that you have access to as you search and evaluate your results, even when the results include text. You can do this from either search result or item pages.
You may be asked to review and accept the JSTOR Terms and Conditions of use before accepting the download.
Download from Search Result pages
If you find an image in your search results that you have access to and want to download or cite, select from the item you are interested in.
A menu will open beside the image with these options.
Download from Image item pages
If you find an image that you have access to and want to download or cite from the item page, select Download from the item you are interested in.