What's in this article:
- Why make a citation list?
- Creating your list
- Adding citations to your list
- NEW! Adding notes to your citations
Why Make a List?
Creating a List in your MyJSTOR account will allow you to save the research you've done, build outlines, and add notes to citations. Pro tip: if you're part of a subscribing school or institution, you can sign on to your individual MyJSTOR account at the same time that you are signed into your institution's account! This feature will help you save your research for future JSTOR research sessions.
Create a List to Manage Your Citations
After you make a MyJSTOR account, take the following steps to create a list.
- Log in and go to the top right-hand corner of the page. You will see your name, click the down arrow and select the second "My Lists" option.
- Once you're at the "My Lists' page, find the link in the center of the page that says "Create new list."
- Once you select that link, you'll be prompted to name your new list. After you enter a name, click "Create."
- Note that you can "Add description" to a list you've created to remind yourself why you created the list
Adding Citations to Your List
Now that you've created a list, you'll probably want to search for articles to add to it. You can search straight from the bottom of your list (there's a basic search box there), or you can start at the JSTOR homepage.
- Once you've found an article you want, select the button to the right of your search result labelled "Add to My Lists."
- After you select 'Add To My Lists' you'll be presented with a window. The window will show you all the lists you've created.
- Check the checkbox next to the list you want the citation to be saved under.
- When you go back to 'My Lists' you'll be able to access your saved citations and export them.
NEW! Adding Notes to Your Citations
Let's say you had a late night researching and now you want to come back to your work. You added a citation to your list, and you're not really sure what it was that you saved that article for. You now have the ability to add notes to your citations.
To add notes to your citations:
- If you're not yet on the list you want to edit into your MyJSTOR account, hover over your name in the top right of the screen, and select "My Lists."
- Go to the list you added your citation to. After clicking on the list, you will see your citations.
- Next to your citation, you will see a "+ Add" icon. When you click on this icon, a text window will pop up.
- Enter your notes, then be sure to click "Save." You'll be able to see this note next time you log in!